Monday, April 19, 2010

Hrishikesh Mukherjee

I don't know since when I have been in love with Hrishikesh Mukherjee films. Earlier when we didn't have cable connection at home, I used to wait for the Saturdays to come so that I could watch old Hindi movies, I even left my dancing class only because I had to give up the climax of all those movies for the class timing! Though I must mention that I did not like bharatnatyam much, I would rather be the couch potato anyway! As I grew up I realized that it is not only about old Hindi movies in general, but about a particular type, that is the Hrishikesh Mukherjee type, which fascinates me the most. I think he was the best... no melodrama, no nautanki, just plain good movies. Movies which you can watch again and again. I have lost count of how many times I have seen Chupke Chupke, Khoobsurat, Golmaal and Bawarchi. They are my most favourites. I have also watched the other ones, but these stand out. For me there is nothing like the combination of  Hrishikesh Mukherjee films and tea to make me feel good. I am in love with the whole concept of big families, the odd mixture of people, the subtle sarcasm, the laughter, the beautiful songs, the innocent love story and most importantly the believable storyline. There was a time when I used to take the lessons from these movies quite seriously. For eg: when Rajesh Khanna's character in Bawarchi says " apna kaam toh sab karte hain, lekin dusroh ka kaam karne mein jo mazaa hain woh kisi mein nahi..." [:P] There are so many like these!! Damn sweet. Somehow the uncomplicated nature of his movies is something that I enjoy the most. I mean in today's life, we have no time for such morals, everyone is busy to get to their dreams, there is hardly any time for anyone to spare a thought for others [:(] But that's the reality of today, atleast I have the movies to make me happy again, after a hard day in real life! :)

6 comments:

Kunal said...

Chupke Chupke is one of my favorite movies. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen it. There are a few other films starring Amol Palekar (Chotti Si baat, baaton batoon mein.) which you may like.
Its Bliss!!

Nice thought..

Srirupa said...

thanks...i ll definitely check out the movies u hv told me abt...btw...u manage three blogs? which one is urs?

darkling said...

khoobsurat, Golmaal my favrt too.those were the days!!!

Kunal said...

on the one you commented is mine.
sneakpeak is a photo blog, which I am trying hard to manage, though, I have many photos to publish. Need to give some time there. The other one is a timepass. Do not pay attention to it :P

Srirupa said...

@sohini...i completely agree :)

Srirupa said...

@kunnu..got it!